Quick Guide to Change Admin Password of Netgear Extender
Customizing the admin password of your Netgear WiFi extender helps in keeping unauthorized users at bay. Therefore, changing the password is a great step in safeguarding the extender's WiFi network. Just in case you are wondering about how to change admin password of your extender, then this post will serve you as a helping hand. Here, we have summed up the entire process to assign a new admin password to the range extender. So, read on.
Before You Change Admin Password of Extender
Before you proceed to the steps to change admin password of your Netgear extender, you need to fulfill a few prerequisites that are as follows:
- A already configured WiFi router.
- A desktop or laptop.
- The extender's web address i.e. http://mywifiext to access the extender's official login page.
- The default admin username and password in order to log in to your Netgear range extender.
- A connection source to connect your WiFi devices.
- And, of course! Your Netgear range extender.
Moving on, let's discuss the steps to change admin password of your Netgear wireless extender.
Steps to Change Admin Password of Netgear Extender
- Plug your Netgear range extender into an electrical outlet and press the Power button.
- Now, connect the extender to the router using a wired or wireless source.
- Thereafter, switch on your desktop or laptop.
- Load a web browser.
- Go to the URL field and type the extender's default web address.
- Press the Enter key.
- You will find yourself on the official admin page of the Netgear range extender.
- Here, enter the default username and password of your Netgear range extender in their respective fields.
- Click the Log In button.
- The dashboard of your Netgear extender will appear.
Note: If you own a Netgear N300 range extender, pressing the Enter key will take you to the www mywifiext net n300 setup wizard.
- Now, select the Settings tab.
- Click the Password option.
- The Password window will come into view.
- Type the new admin password of your extender in the New Password field.
- Do not forget to re-enter the password in the Verify Password field.
- Now, select the security questions and answer them correctly.
- Click Save.
- The new admin password of your Netgear range extender will come into effect.
In this way, you can change admin password of your Netgear range extender. But, the new password of your Netgear range extender needs to be strong. Otherwise, it won't take much time for anyone to breach your extender's security. To know tips to set up a strong admin password for your extender, walk through the next section.
Tips to Set Strong Admin Password
- Do not use the password same as your social media accounts.
- Keep in mind to use a combination of alphabets, digits, and special characters.
- Avoid using your personal details like mobile number, date of birth, spouse name, pet's name as the admin password of your Netgear extender.
- Never use memorable keyboard paths like qwerty or !@#$ etc.
- Your Netgear extender admin password should not consist of sequential alphabets or digits.
If even after following the aforementioned tips, you are unable to change admin password of your extender, refer to the troubleshooting tips mentioned below.
Can't Change Admin Password of Extender?
- To get success with the password changing process, your Netgear extender, host router, and desktop must be receiving an adequate power supply. So, make sure that none of these devices are plugged into a damaged wall outlet. If you are using a laptop to change admin password of the extender, ensure that it is having enough charging to get the process completed.
- Temporarily disable antivirus software or firewall installed on the WiFi-enabled device being used for changing the extender's password.
- Keep in mind to understand the Netgear extender lights meaning before proceeding with the process. FYI, solid green status of lights mean everything is in good shape whereas solid red indicates that something is wrong with your device. In case of red light, reboot the extender.
- The connection between your Netgear extender and the router needs to be strong. You can make it firm depending on the source of connection used.
- Make sure that all the devices employed in changing the password need to be away from reflexive surfaces and metal objects. Also, devices and appliances like microwave ovens, cellular phones, treadmills, Bluetooth speakers, baby monitors, etc. can mess up WiFi signals. So, keep your extender and router away from them.
Once you change admin password of your Netgear extender, the default password will no longer be effective. So, next time you perform Netgear extender login, do not forget to use the new admin password. However, if you are still unable to change the password or face any other issue with your extender, contact our experts.